Today is the official kickoff to summer! This means meeting up with friends and family at BBQs and parties with spreads and spreads of food. Until a few years ago, I ate all the typical BBQ dishes – cole slaw, macaroni salad, buns loaded with burgers or hot dogs. Yes, it was part of the experience, but I walked away gaining over 5 pounds and waking up super thirsty (a huge sign that your meal was loaded with salt).
Now, when I go to a summer party, I always bring a side dish that is full of flavor but also free of all the added fats and salts.
Today I want to share one of my newest recipes that will awaken your taste buds!!
It’s called Coconut Garlic Swiss Chard.
Swiss Chard is a leafy green vegetable that I had never tried until last week. Once I cooked it and added some key spices, it transformed into my new favorite side dish.
Here are the benefits of eating this dish:
- It is delicious!
- Leafy greens are packed with potassium – a key element that battles salt.
- This one food will lower your blood pressure!! This happens because potassium pushes salt out of your body.
Pretty unbelievable right? You get to eat a delicious food AND lower your blood pressure?!? Sign me up!
Check out my step-by-step video on how to cook this mouth-watering recipe:
COCONUT GARLIC SWISS CHARD
1 bunch Swiss Chard (can choose from green, red, rainbow bunches)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 tbsp garlic (2 cloves) chopped
1 tsp chili pepper chopped (optional if you like it spicy)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Separate leaves and stems of Swiss Chard into 2 piles. (rip leaves off of stems)
2. Chop ribs and stems into 1 inch pieces – keep in 1 pile.
3. Chop leaves into 1 inch pieces – keep in another pile.
4. Heat coconut oil in pan.
5. Add onions, garlic, chili peppers to pan. Saute for 3 minutes.
6. Add Swiss Chard ribs & stems, salt & pepper. Saute for 10 minutes (covered).
7. Add Swiss Chard leaves, stir, cover for 3-5 minutes until wilted.
8. Turn off the stove, serve and enjoy!!
I would love your feedback on the flavors in this recipe. Please leave a comment below.